KAREN MONID | SOUND ARTIST
ARTS EXHIBITIONS & FESTIVALS | OUTDOOR PUBLIC EVENTS | THEATRE & NATIONAL HERITAGE
Karen is a sound artist & projection content producer, creating & programming on some of the most striking & memorable creative art works and event projects in the world.
Her practice is often working on large scale installations, pushing the boundaries of the son et lumière genre of architectural projection & sound works. She embraces opportunities to work collaboratively & has a longstanding creative partnership with Ross Ashton of The Projection Studio.
She has produced many successful soundscape art installations, with a particular interest in natural sound, 3D environment creation and spatial perception. Her work is heavily researched and has included historic soundscape creation and the early languages of the British Isles. Her music pieces are rooted in and inspired by the melodies and rhythms of early Western music, sacred and secular.
Her installations draw positive public engagement with new art & national media attention. She has given talks & lectures on her work & practice to a wide range of audiences, including at University of Cambridge & University of Oxford. Her work has also featured on BBC Radio 3 & 4. She has also appeared on several TV programmes.
RECENT WORKS INCLUDES:
- ‘Midwinter Nights‘ at the ‘Light Up’ international light art event at Wiston House, UK, 2020
- ‘The Speed of Modern Life‘ at the Being Human Festival in Oxford and at the University of Otago, New Zealand
- The award-winning ‘Northern Lights’ at York Minster, UK;
- ‘Animal‘ at the Cheriton Light Festival 2020, UK;
- ‘First Light’ at the Napa Lighted Arts Festival 2020, U.S.;
PAST WORK INCLUDES:
‘A Certain Amount of Courage‘ at Light Night Leeds, a special commission for the Centenary Cities project celebrating 100 years since women were first granted the parliamentary vote in the UK.
Installations at Berlin Festival of Light, Being Human Festival, Light Night Leeds, Night of Heritage Light (Oxford), the London 2012 Olympics & Paralympics son et lumière on the Houses of Parliament, London, Humanities Light Night (TORCH, Oxford), Light Up Poole, Cambridge e-Luminate Festival, Illuminating York, SO Festival (Lincolnshire).
- ‘Into The Forest‘ – an AHRC research project collaborating with BBC documentary maker Dr Eleanor Barraclough (Associate Professor, Durham University)
- Several pieces for socially distanced education projects: The ‘Be Inspired‘ series created for the OxNet Summer School 2020 (University of Oxford) & history education work for Junior High School children in the U.S.
A FEW EXAMPLES OF MY WORK
Peace Garden (extract)
Sonic Tides (extracts)
SPIRITUS: LIGHT AND DARKNESS
THE SPEED OF MODERN LIFE